Online Photography SchoolSo you wanna be a fashion photographer? Sounds very exciting? Sailing around on yachts with models. Shooting in the Caribbean or Tahiti or maybe even Paris with your favorite model is a perk of the job right? How fun it must be to shoot models for Victoria’s Secret and Sports Illustrated! Who would not want to travel to exotic locales and make a fortune and work with and befriend the most beautiful women in the world?
Everything listed above, while possible, is not exactly what we do. I know, i know it looks like that in the movies and on television. And yes, i was in Greece this year, Rome and the Caribbean working on shoots with very lovely models. But it is not that simple or everyone would be doing it right? Right!
1. Get some basic courses in photography so you can understand the functions of a camera.
2. Go out and take some pictures of models. There are many websites out there that have models who are ready to shoot with you and who live in your area. Start with an internet search to find model websites.
3. After you become comfortable taking pictures of amateur models and have some great photographs in your book approach local modeling agencies by giving them a call or sending and email and ask to shoot their models for their portfolios. You may be able to shoot their models for free and perhaps get paid in the process of doing so.
4. Open the magazines that you want to be in and study their style. In time you will be able to shoot as well as the photographers in the magazines you want to shoot for. When you are ready submit your pictures to the photo editors of these magazines. You will find their contact info in the first few pages of the magazine or you can call them directly.
5. Network and maintain relationships with people in the industry. Social networking sites are great for this as great fashion photographers, fashion designers, makeup artists, hair stylists, magazines and photo editors can be found online. It may take some digging but social networks have a ton of resources to aid you in your quest.
7. Do not fuss too much over gear. If you are using a digital camera try to find one that is at least 12 megapixels so you do not have to worry too much about poor image quality. Get a couple of great lenses. In the beginning and at the advanced stages of your career you will find yourself working a lot with natural light. Harness that power. It is the greatest light there is. Of course at times you will find yourself working in the studio as well. Get a few quality lights. Afterwards, focus on the craft of photography. Man made the picture and the picture made the man.
8. Be nice.
9. Keep shooting. The road to becoming a successful fashion photographer can be a long one. Do not give up. Shoot in the beginning as a hobby in all of your spare time. Create as often as you can. The experience will be invaluable.
10. Get an agent. An agent can be instrumental in promoting your photography career. When you are armed with a portfolio full of pictures start approaching them. They are extremely competitive in the major markets and it will be a task to get your work in front of them but well worth the effort.